[plug] Fwd: [SLUG] Lucky 13 for Linux

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Tue Apr 13 11:25:58 WST 1999

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> Christian wrote:
> > See - sharing software is natural.
> So, I borrow an Audio CD, and I duplicate it, or I MP3 it. And that
> should be encouraged? The original "author" still has his music, but now
> I've got it too!!
Yep, sounds good. Remember that the record companies that oligopolise the
market charge about $20 to do that copying, while it might cost them 5c -
does that sound like a broken market in which consumers and artists are
being exploited? It does to me.

> Just because it's easy to copy/share doesn't mean it's always right.
People keep saying that. I've never heard it justified.

> Sure, it's materialistic, but paying for a copy is often more
> appreciated by the author than a 'you're great' message. Sure,
> recognition is good, but it doesn't pay the bills.
When did I say the artist shouldn't be paid? All I have said is that the
present method paying them is fundamentally unjust. There is obviously
enough demand to pay them handsomely, but to do it in such a manner based
on the anachronistic idea that duplication costs big money does nothing
for the artist or the public - only the record companies.
I don't know how to structure payment for artists. A Free Music Bazaar
isn't feasible, because music isn't made to spec, but there are numerous
companies starting up on the premise of freely-distributable MP3s, and if
even one of them comes up with a workable business model, I think
copy-protected music is on it's last legs.

> There are some situations free is good and free is practical, but until
> we reach a point where we don't have to work to get the basics in life
> (and I'm not talking Dole Bludging), there's gonna be costs.
I don't think you are listening to what I am saying. I have never
suggested not remunerating creators of public goods, I have merely said
that the present system of paying them is thoroughly inequitable.

> It's called barter, but using money as a common currency. I like your
> music, here's some money.
Yep, I do love to catch a concert. The musician goes out there and does
the hard work for me, and I'll pay them richly for it.

> (The musician goes down the Pub: I like your grog, here's some money. ^_^)
Which pub does he go to? I'd like to meet him, 'cause his music is great!

> > Quite honestly, I don't know why people who don't care about Free
> > software use Linux.  Sure, it's often an excellent choice in many
> > situations - but often there are even better options.
> . o O (But, Linux is damn good! And it's not Micro$oft! And it's free!)
Exactly. Even forgetting it is free, linux is damn good for a whole lot of
things. Just don't forget that being free is the _reason_ it is so good.

As for not being from Microsoft, I don't know if there's anything
inherently wonderful about that - but it is often an indicator of quality.

-Greg Mildenhall