[plug] Fwd: [SLUG] Lucky 13 for Linux

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Tue Apr 13 17:04:06 WST 1999

Christian wrote:

> Trevor Phillips wrote:
> >
> > That's part of the problem; from the outside it looks like a fairly
> > decent web page, but I know what wizardry is going on underneath. Trying
> > to explain it to your average person (and even your above-average
> > web-smart person) is difficult. ^_^
>
> *rotfl*  You can't be serious???  Your code is so sophisticated that you
> have to keep it secret???  (lest our brains explode in wonder at the
> wizardry of your web scripting skills? *chuckle*) If your code was so

*ROFLMAO*
I wasn't talking about the sharing of code bit here. I was digressing
somewhat... ^_^

I'm sure several people here could easily understand the code, but
explaining concepts to others I do get hit with blank looks a lot. ^_^;;

> fantastic then opening it up and showing it to others would help to
> educate them to this new and revolutionary approach you were taking -
> surely that is a good thing?  And perhaps your code isn't so good...
> perhaps it's terribly inefficient but because no one has shown you their
> way of doing things, you don't know and you'll never know unless you
> open it up and show it to others so they can comment and suggest
> improvements.  Not to mention things like security vulnerabilities that
> could be there and might remain unfixed if not exposed to peer review.

Fer sure, I'm sure it could be improved through peer evaluation, and
I'll probably do that. Right now, though, I'd like to finish it and tidy
it up myself first. And I'll probably tell you lot about it when I am
ready. ^_^
This has digressed from a general discussion to status of my projects
tho... ^_^;;;

> As a general rule (and this is not meant personally at all - I know you
> work for Murdoch so perhaps you are legally unable to publish your code)

That's sort of the issue, but the other way around. My current project
I'm developing on my own time, but Murdoch are using it, and I need to
write up a License Agreement concerning its use by Murdoch. We're not
all nice people, and it's the sort of thing that could quickly be copied
around, and it's not yet in a form where it's distributable.
(Speaking of which, does anyone here have experience with that sort of
license agreement?? Maybe contact me privately... -_^) (Maybe it's time
to read that GNU license? ^_^;;)

> I can understand software development companies not wanting to open up
> their code (I'm not necessarily agreeing with it but I can understand
> it) however if individuals say they won't publish their code then I
> would suspect that perhaps they feel uncertain about what others would
> think of it (ie, are insecure about it).  Of course, their code might be
> fantastic but having not let people comment on it, they'll never know.
> (and it'll never get better)

This is definitely part of it. I am very posessive of my code at the
moment. And this is partly a personal issue that I'll have to resolve.
I do aim to reach a point where I will release it, though.

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :