[plug] Fwd: [SLUG] Lucky 13 for Linux

Christian christian at global.net.au
Tue Apr 13 09:40:26 WST 1999

Trevor Phillips wrote:

> Greg Mildenhall wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> > > Most of my code is web-server based, and so lots of people see it,
> > > without knowing what's actually happening under the bonnet.
> > But of course more could/would see it/appreciate it if you shared.
>
> That's part of the problem; from the outside it looks like a fairly
> decent web page, but I know what wizardry is going on underneath. Trying
> to explain it to your average person (and even your above-average
> web-smart person) is difficult. ^_^

*rotfl*  You can't be serious???  Your code is so sophisticated that you
have to keep it secret???  (lest our brains explode in wonder at the
wizardry of your web scripting skills? *chuckle*) If your code was so
fantastic then opening it up and showing it to others would help to
educate them to this new and revolutionary approach you were taking -
surely that is a good thing?  And perhaps your code isn't so good...
perhaps it's terribly inefficient but because no one has shown you their
way of doing things, you don't know and you'll never know unless you
open it up and show it to others so they can comment and suggest
improvements.  Not to mention things like security vulnerabilities that
could be there and might remain unfixed if not exposed to peer review.

As a general rule (and this is not meant personally at all - I know you
work for Murdoch so perhaps you are legally unable to publish your code)
I can understand software development companies not wanting to open up
their code (I'm not necessarily agreeing with it but I can understand
it) however if individuals say they won't publish their code then I
would suspect that perhaps they feel uncertain about what others would
think of it (ie, are insecure about it).  Of course, their code might be
fantastic but having not let people comment on it, they'll never know.
(and it'll never get better)

Regards,

Christian.