[plug] Fwd: [SLUG] Lucky 13 for Linux

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Wed Apr 14 22:03:59 WST 1999

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Oliver White wrote:
> Greg Mildenhall wrote:
> > That gives them no right whatsoever to harm other people's well-being by
> > refusing to share their ideas when the cost to themselves is negligible.
> I think I dissagree, or at least missunderstand you. I think the writer has
> every right to keep his work to herself if they so desire. The great thing
> about free software is that people are willing to share of their own volition.
Well, I would say the author certainly has the right to decide, but when,
as I say, the cost to them of enriching others' well-beings is negligible,
I couldn't agree with the choice not to share their creations. Of course,
there are instances where sharing something _does_ harm the writer -
issues of privacy, the desire to polish the work before putting it on
display - and these are perfectly valid reasons not to share ideas.

-Greg Mildenhall