[plug] Fwd: [SLUG] Lucky 13 for Linux

Christian christian at global.net.au
Thu Apr 15 16:33:34 WST 1999

Steve Baker wrote:

> I think you are forgetting that in many cases the company that
> commissioned the work in the first place often becomes the owner of the
> source code (depending on the contract of course).  In this case they
> usually don't want to give it out because purpose-built software of this
> type often gives them a competitive advantage, which they usually don't
> want to share.  Or they consider it an asset, and many companies don't
> just give away assets that they paid significant amounts of money for.

Yes, and I think our point is that this is a bad thing. :)  The
philosophy of the FSF is all tied up with being sociable and open and
friendly and sharing things.  In some ways perhaps these things aren't
natural behaviour for humans - but wouldn't the world be a much nicer
place if they were?

Regards,

Christian.