[plug] Fwd: [Fwd: The Gospel of Tux (v1.0)]

bk at bofh.ns.ca bk at bofh.ns.ca
Fri Apr 23 17:20:04 WST 1999

Hi,

> Hi everyone.... i have a rather large dilemma...  i am trying to install
> redhat linux 5.2 on a 486 dx2 66 overdrive. I have the basic cards already
> installed (video, network card) when i use my trusty ole bootdisk (created
> from (rawrite.exe > /bootimg/boot.img - the apcmag cdrom)... the system
> works fine when i run 95... but.. when i grab my Redhat start up disk, i
> go to boot it... hit enter at the install type (expert/normal) and it
> loads the kernel and a few other things.. but the it checks the scsi.. and
> the partitions ... heres what pops up

To determine whether it's hardware related or software (bootdisk/kernel)
related problem, try out the debian rescue disk.
ftp://ftp.uwa.edu.au/mirrors/linux/debian/dists/slink/main/disks-i386/slink-latest/

> Partition check:
> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> divide error: 0000
> CPU:	0
> EIP:	0010:[<00126393>]

> it does show more... about a whole page... looks like cpu registers or
> something to me.. but i dsont know...  but thats about it.. just wondering
> if any of u's had encountered the problem b4

Looks like an Oops message to me. Divide error... Does the FPU work on the
CPU? FPU could have fried at some point, heh. Linux is sensitive to broken
hardware; someone could use their partially dead 64mb dimm on windows but
not in linux.

-David.