[plug] RedHat 5.2, Xwindows and a Intel740 AGP graphics card

Grant Malcolm gmalcolm at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Apr 27 15:57:32 WST 1999

Hi Mark

> Can anyone provide any suggestions on how to get XWindows working with the
> above video card.  It is saying it cannot start the XWindows server.
> XWindows was working fine with SVGA XFree86 server on a previous PCI card.
> What server should I use?  Anyone else had AGP graphics card issues they
> could share?

The i740 requires a special XBF server only available as a binary -
something to do with an Intel non-disclosure agreement. Check the XFree86
FAQ's under supported chipsets, it has an address for dowloading the
necessary files. The file is available from local RedHat mirrors, i just
can't remember the address :(

My i740 was working like a charm under XWindows within minutes of
dowloading the right server.

Cheers
Grant

CONNECT to your LOCAL THEATRE
     visit the Independent Theatre Association
on the INTERNET
        http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~gmalcolm/ita