[plug] COMPARISON BETWEEN NT AND LINUX PERFORMANCE (Retraction !!!!!) (2 4/04/99)

Mark J Gaynor mark at scouts.org.au
Tue Apr 27 21:39:07 WST 1999

At 08:59 PM 4/27/99 +0800, you wrote:
>On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Jon L. Miller wrote:
>> Just remember Mindcraft did a so-call study against Novell's OS and
>> made the same claims.  It is obvious that they are a paid consultant of
>> MS and will continue to spread the MS word.  If you can do the study
>> yourself and come to your own decision.  But as DLHilton said, chose
>> the OS that suits the task.
>Actually, he said:
>
>"Cut the jabber - learn from others how to pick and choose the "best" OS
>for the application at hand."
>
>Which, to me, includes reviewing tests others have performed. If I were
>looking for an HTTP/SMB server, this would be a report I might look at
>closely. That is why it is important that people are made aware of the
>extraordinary lengths Mindcraft have gone to in order to invalidate the
>accuracy of the survey. The jabber will hopefully save a lot of people
>from making mistakes based on the horrendous misinformation presented by
>the Mindcraft debacle.
>
>-Greg Mildenhall

I think Microsoft are running scared. They know that Linux as a platform is
being
put in stronger position and becoming a huge threat to their dominance, as
the big
software developers start releasing products for Linux that previously only
Microsoft
compliant. Maybe the rot has taken hold and Linux has made greater inroads
than anyone
has previously thought.

People are now in a clearing, looking back at the forrest, and wandering if
there is a
better way to stay ahead. The word is spreading, and fast. Mr Gates and Co.
don't like
when public opinion start to turn away from the GOD of the industry and is
looking for
a fairer deal.

All I can say is look after the client because that is where your future
support lies.

-Mark
--

Mark J Gaynor
Branch Commissioner Communications (Internet)