[plug] Linux

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 4 20:46:50 WST 1999

John Summerfield wrote:

> I wuz browsing Satday's Classies & noticed new PCs for < 1000 from Trinix.
>
> No mention of Winders - these machines come with Linux preinstalled.
>
> Having just setup a Pentium 133, 32 Mb with RHL 6, I'd suggest you ask for
> 64 Mbytes. 32 is just not enough.
>
> --
> Cheers
> John Summerfield
> http://os2.ami.com.au/os2/ for OS/2 support.
> Configuration, networking, combined IBM ftpsites index.

It depends on the overall system.

They have had Linux PC's for a while (a number o0f months), at under $1000, but
they have had Cyrix CPU's (I think, from memory).

We got an AMD K6-2 300 with 64MB RAM, and a 6.4 GB HDD, without a monitor, for
$1100, and without an OS, a few months back, from Best Buy Computers.

It's the old story; don't jump at the first bargain, shop around.

I would think that, at this stage, it would be best to get at least 128MB of
RAM, since that is the minimum for VMWare, and, we all want to be able to run
the new version of Windozy, when it is released later this year; the one that
has just been released for Beta testing; Windoze thru the Millennium, the hybrid
of Win 98, Win NT, and Win2000 (How's that for a mongrel OS??) But, we don't
want Windozy to be able to destroy the hardware, so a virtual machine is
probably the safest hardware platform on which to run it.

By the way, I trust you are all aware of the pending USA legislation, that will
allow software companies to remotely disable their software.

Speak softly when you speak against the Big Bodgy Software Company, lest they
reach out and close your windows!

Bret Busby