[plug] Linux

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Thu Aug 5 09:39:48 WST 1999

> John Summerfield wrote:
> >
> > I wuz browsing Satday's Classies & noticed new PCs for < 1000 from Trinix.
> >
> > No mention of Winders - these machines come with Linux preinstalled.
> >
> > Having just setup a Pentium 133, 32 Mb with RHL 6, I'd suggest you ask for
> > 64 Mbytes. 32 is just not enough.
> >
> > --
> > Cheers
> > John Summerfield
> > http://os2.ami.com.au/os2/ for OS/2 support.
> > Configuration, networking, combined IBM ftpsites index.
>
> It depends on the overall system.

RHL 6 Gnome, WordPerfect & she tried to start netscape. "dmesg" showed
several programs terminated for lack of memory - 32 Mb RAM (well, 28 Mb -
the on-board video takes 4) + 24 Mb swap. Performance so bad that merely
adding more swap space is NOT a long-term (or even medium-term) option.

I would NOT characterise her as a demanding user; DOS & Wordstar would do
her word-processing. Well, nearly.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield