[plug] re; path settings

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Thu Aug 5 13:14:22 WST 1999

> > > just man <shell of choice> and see what .files get executed when you
> > > login or telnet in. Edit the path assignment line in those files. (at
> > > least one of them should have one)
> > In RHL you also get to tamper with PATH (and other environment variables)
> > (for all users) in /etc/profile.d.
> I don't know RH all that well, but wouldn't that script be called from
> .bash_profile or similar? If that's where RH put the PATH assignment, then
> that's where you wanna change that PATH assignment. :)

You DO NOT want to change the script RH uses: if you do, it gets run over
in the enxt upgrade. Everything in /etc/profile.d/ with a name ending .sh
and executable gets called. It's sensible to see if what you want is in
there (may be called by some user later) and add if not.
This way, you can have several scripts adding to $PATH; get rid on one
product with a script in /etc/profile.d, simply delete the script. No
fuss, no muss.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield