[plug] New APC pocket book?

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Thu Aug 5 15:22:57 WST 1999

According to APC's website (http://apcmag.com/shop) the following info has
been posted (and has been there for quite some time

LINUX POCKETBOOK

Sorry! We've now completely sold out of the Linux Pocketbook, and no more
copies are available. However, a new edition, featuring Red Hat 6.0, revised
material and a triple cover CD, is currently in production, and will be
released in August. We'll be taking advance orders on this site soon, so
please check back often!

I often check at this site and this has been there for quite sometime.
Considering how long it took them to get the previous one out (they had
heaps of delays) I'm pretty much considering that they won't get it out this
month. If all goes according to schedule then I see the following possibly
happening.

1. They'll delay it another month or two.
2. RedHat 6.1 will be announced and they will look to putting that version
on there cover CD (same happened with 5.1. They went to 5.2 when it was
announced).
3. Alan Cox will finally get around to making his pre-patches into a 2.2.11
kernel by which time Linux will be finishing of the code for 2.4 (announced
for fall this year with a feature freeze in the next two weeks - Fall is
American speak for Autumn which in the Northern Hemisphere occurs during the
months of September, October and November).
4. W2k will come out in a packaged box. Rubbing the blue string line
throughout the packaging will reveal the words this product is a genuine
beta.

I think APC is trying to target to a different audience (all the win users
who don't know what a partition is) and they want to make sure they get
everything right and down packed. There last edition while late was
certainly very good and the book I still use as a very handy reference
guide. I am sure this edition will be very good to but if you are wanting a
cheap copy of a RedHat 6.0 CD then you are better of trying to find a plug
member with a burner or visit http://www.everythinglinux.com.au.

Sorry that this answer is so long and probably has been said in the half
dozen or so posts that have come in since.