[plug] creating partitions

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Fri Aug 6 04:22:44 WST 1999

> On Thu, Aug 05, 1999 at 09:41:02PM +0800, Grant Heazlewood wrote:
> > I have at present a problem creating partitions with redhat. I am
> > installing rh6 using a boot disk I do a custom install and use disk
> > druid, when I try to create a  native partition with a mount point of
> > /  'root' I get a message that the  "boot partition is to big"  and it
>
> try 100-200megs for /boot and the rest for /.

RH recommands 16 Mb for /boot; I think the whole idea silly unless you
have one of those aging systems lacking in understanding of LBA (and I
told them so).

Even ten, 16 Mb is absolutely heaps - how many kernels do you want there
anyway? A root (not boot) fs of 100 Mb will satisfy most users, and
overcome the 1023 cylinder problem.
--
Cheers
John Summerfield