[plug] creating partitions

bk bk at bofh.ns.ca
Fri Aug 6 17:40:35 WST 1999

On Thu, Aug 05, 1999 at 11:57:29PM +0800, Grant Heazlewood wrote:
> I have tried everything from 1- 100 MB but still no joy, it must be
> something to do with the HD because if I use a different HD I am able to
> partition with no prob. I have tried  "fdisk/MBR" in dos but that has
> not changed anything is it possible that the HD has formed a "memory" of
> sorts for the boot partition that disk druid is detecting some how, the
> thing is that all I have done to this drive is what I have done many
> times before and that is instal Linux.

Before, did you partition the HD with disk druid or something else?
Personally, I like "fdisk" since it gives me all the control I need. Once
I wanted to try out cfdisk (~2years ago) and bad things happened.

> Mike Holland wrote:
> > A bit of a waste. You mean 10-20 MB ?

Ahh -- my ignorance. So the best layout is 10megs for /boot, 128megs for
swap, then the rest for linux?

I was thinking of redoing all my partitions so if the machine crashes,
large'ish read only partitions won't be fscked. The only reason for it to
be crashing is I want to mess around with glx. Then again, I can remount
all the partitions readonly before proceeding.

-David (bk at bofh.ns.ca).