[plug] creating partitions

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Fri Aug 6 09:46:06 WST 1999

At 21:41 05/08/99 +0800, you wrote:
>I have at present a problem creating partitions with redhat. I am
>installing rh6 using a boot disk I do a custom install and use disk
>druid, when I try to create a  native partition with a mount point of
>/  'root' I get a message that the  "boot partition is to big"  and it
>has not been allocated, this happens no matter what size I specify and
>since it is a 4G drive that is totally dedicated to Linux I am at a loss
>as to what could be causing this. I am able to format and use the whole
>drive in windows and up until today I was able to do the same with
>Linux. I have tried using partition magic as well and although this will
>create and format the partitions when I do the install I am unable to
>write the bootloader to the MBR or any other partition. Any thoughts on
>this from anyone would be greatfully appreciated.

You mentioned difficulty writing to MBR.
It's possible your BIOS is not letting you write to the boot sector of the
disk as a virus protection strategy. If you haven't already done so, you
should be able to toggle the feature off in BIOS config.

Steve

^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v
Steve Grasso
Communications Officer
Web and Multimedia
Conservation and Land Management
Locked Bag 104
Bentley DC
WESTERN AUSTRALIA 6983

steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
+61 8 9389 8644  Voice
+61 8 9389 8296  Fax

http://www.calm.wa.gov.au

^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v
"Good looks in a person with no sense, is like a gold ring in a pig's snout"
(old Jewish proverb)