[plug] was (Debian)Thanx to all..now Apologies to all

bk bk at bofh.ns.ca
Sat Aug 7 00:12:58 WST 1999

On Fri, Aug 06, 1999 at 10:38:17PM +0800, Desire'e wrote:
> It is not actually the first time i have compiled.
I remember a few years back, jumping from a mid 1.3.x kernel back to a
1.2.x kernel, I lost some configure options and was somewhat lost, heh.

> I have compiled under RedHat and Caldera a few times now.
Was this a fresh kernel tarball or one provided/modified by them?

> Under Debian only twice before this kernel release and those were successfull.
> I was grasping at straws when i recompiled "Just in case" i had left something
> hugley important out"

> What i meant was that i could only boot successfully from a floppy. And
> therefore couldnot do a -dmesg / screen dump of the error.
>  And yes it was compiled / created when i recompiled the kernel ( force of
> habit).
> however I have it now....
> ERROR MESSAGE:
> {it boots LILO fine.
> goes through the list of drives(cdrom,floppy,harddrive,scsi)
> starts PPP
> gets to...}( and this is verbatim)
> PARTITION CHECK:
> request_module [ide-disk]:Root fs not mounted
ide-disk compiled as a module or in the kernel? compiling it as a module
is pointless unless on a SCSI based system. Please verify if this is the
case.

> hda: driver not present
> VFS: Cannot open root device 03:01
> KernelPanic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01

> it would be a hell of a list but the block devices etc are the same as under
> previous successfull compiles.

I need to confirm if it's correct or not. Since root cannot be mounted,
how can any files on the partition influence this?

> Im out of ideas where else should I look?????
.config attached to this message.

> What i mean is simply  I cannot mount a floppy.
> Be it a ext2 format
> or msdos format.
> Even using the mount -t command...i get bad superblock message on any floppy i
> care to insert....

The debian rescue disk has msdos FS compiled into the kernel since the
disk itself is msdos FS. were you typing mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt?

-David (bk at bofh.ns.ca).