[plug] re: take the test

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Sun Aug 8 00:46:43 WST 1999

> 2.3    Jack has many decisions to make regarding the installation of Linux
> on his machine. Jack is very concerned that he will make a mistake because
> he uses two other operating systems and does not wish to lose any
> data. After careful study Jack has discovered some basic but necessary
> steps for installation of any version of Linux.
> Which of the following MUST be on Jack's list of basic
> steps? (Remember to choose the BEST answer)
>
>                       writing LILO to the MBR
>                       Use FIPS to modify a Linux partition
>                       copying the OS software
>                       creating a new user for the system
>
> What on earth is the point of that question ???????

For those who don't know the answer to this, and remembering there are
some novices on the list:

 Writing LILO to the MBR can be a mistake. I prefer OS/2s bootmanager to
lilo for what it does, and overwriting them MBR is NOT a good idea.

 Using FIPS is almost never necessary, and can be positively harmful - I
rather think if it does anything to HPFS or NTFS, it will destroy it/

 What OS software? I've never seen the point of copying the CD if that's
what the question means. Backing up the already-installed software is
prudent, but I doubt that many here actually have the means.

 Creating a new user is irrelevant to the question.

> and how do the choices offered have anthing to do with preserving data ??

"copying" might 8-)

--
Cheers
John Summerfield