[plug] Apache config question.

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Sun Aug 8 22:33:40 WST 1999

Hi ya all,

I'm having a few problems trying to get my Apache config to work and was
wondering if some one could possibly give me a hand in getting the config
working.

I want to setup Apache within the following scenario.

1. I have a dialup box (disro RH6) with a Public IP address on the ppp link
and a Private IP address on the eth card. The box runs IP masq and squid as
well as a bunch of other stuff and I have found it to be pretty rock solid.
I use web based interface a lot for managing the box and I basically want to
put these html files in a secure directory accessible only from certain IP's
and with a userid and password verification. These pages I also want to make
accessible only by going to a virtual host called config. Basically by going
to config.mydomain I'll get prompted for a userid and password providing I
come from an IP on my local network or other specific IP's (such as
workstation at work)

2. I also want to setup some other virtual hosts for things such as TWIG
(because I'm basically to lazy to type in a subdirectory) and maybe for
other things that I decide later on down the track might be handy.

3. Whatever doesn't get resolved to a virtual host goes to my main server
pages.

I think I have the security aspect taken care of (using .htaccess files and
some stuff in httpd.conf) but I am having great difficulties in getting the
virtual host stuff tom work. Anyone who could give me some examples of how I
could do I would be greatly apperceive of.

Michael Hunt