[plug] re: some questions

Ian Kent ian.kent at pobox.com
Sun Aug 8 21:22:49 WST 1999

"Jon L. Miller" wrote:

snip ...

> 2) I was looking for vim rpms, all I was able to find is
> vim-5.3-3.src.rpm.  What does the src in the filename means?  can I
> install it or am I'm looking for a i386.rpm format?

[ian at budgie ian]$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/vim
vim-enhanced-5.3-7
[ian at budgie ian]$

is a package from my RH6 install? I haven't looked but I expect it is an
i386 arch. package.

And

[ian at budgie ian]$ rpm -qi vim-enhanced
Name        : vim-enhanced                 Relocations: (not
relocateable)
Version     : 5.3                               Vendor: Red Hat Software
Release     : 7                             Build Date: Fri Mar 26
06:22:55 1999
Install date: Sun Jun 20 23:47:03 1999      Build Host:
porky.devel.redhat.com
Group       : Applications/Editors          Source RPM:
vim-5.3-7.src.rpm
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                            Note: from which it was
built
Size        : 1329054                          License: freeware
Packager    : Red Hat Software <http://developer.redhat.com/bugzilla/>
Summary     : A version of the VIM editor which includes recent
enhancements.
Description :
VIM (VIsual editor iMproved) is an updated and improved version of the
vi
editor.  Vi was the first real screen-based editor for UNIX, and is
still
very popular.  VIM improves on vi by adding new features: multiple
windows,
multi-level undo, block highlighting and more.  The vim-enhanced package
contains a version of VIM with extra, recently introduced features like
Python and Perl interpreters.

Install the vim-enhanced package if you'd like to use a version of the
VIM
editor which includes recently added enhancements like interpreters for
the
Python and Perl scripting languages.  You'll also need to install the
vim-common package.

--
   ,-._|\    Ian Kent
  /      \   Perth, Western Australia