[plug] Red Hat Shares non-offer

Paul Wilson hooker at opera.iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 9 20:05:12 WST 1999

From: Mike Holland <myk at golden.wattle.id.au>
> On Sun, 8 Aug 1999, Paul Wilson wrote:
> > It looks as if there isn't a method of buying US shares from Oz - unless
you
> > try something like the Commonwealth online service, but they want
$10,000 AU
> > on deposit first !
>
> Is it really worth all the trouble for smaller amount? Have you considered
> the legal and tax problems, as well as banking costs?

Not sure I follow this, sorry. What legal issues are there over owning
shares in a US company?  The tax issues are pretty much the same regardless
of where the company is based, no?

> If you are serious, open a US bank account, and get a US on-line broker.

If I had the $10,000 to invest, then I probably would. However, without
that, I was looking for a practical method of investing smaller amounts.
Today, it seems that there are few, if any, routes open.

Paul