[plug] Red Hat Shares non-offer

John Menzies ccm01 at tpg.com.au
Tue Aug 10 10:52:09 WST 1999

Such lust for stock and from the people who use the software- really says
something about the product.  Hope the lads from Red Hat take some
notice.  Some of you appear to have gone to a lot of trouble.  Teck stocks
are still so hot - particularly stocks with real product like Red Hat that
you would probably have to be one of the better clients of one of the
underwriters to get a hold of any - I would not be surprised if the IPO
"Initial Public Offering" was very much over subscribed.

The issuance of shares in the US of A is not a simple process - the area is
governed by the SEC and their demand for proper form and documentation is
way beyond legend - bordering on the totally absurd - but then there are a
lot of really bum deals for investors over there- says something about
over-regulation in the land of the free.  There are some real issues with
an issuer - Red Hat - distributing shares outside of the borders of the
Land of the Free.  Beside the legal issues there are also the simple
logistics of getting suitable documentation to foreigners and the foreign
exchange issues - North American banks can be really difficult with the
simplest banking transactions involving "Aliens" yep that is you I am
afraid to say.

So what can you do - probably not a lot unless you happen to have a
relative with  one of the underwriting firms.  You could buy stock on the
market post issue but that might be a bit more expensive than the issue
price.  Might I suggest in the First instance to contact a broker whom or
is that who I know in Canada - he might be able to help.  His email
is:  jimo at pi-securities.com  name Jim Olyenic - he deals with a lot of
smaller clients and appreciates the effort required.  Mention my name.

There is nothing like having paper in your own IPO - not as hard to get and
you decide who gets it or does not!  There would seem to me to be any
number of good marketable ideas on the WWW  which could form the foundation
of a solid business- well probably - I am not certain that anyone other
than the speculators - bless their little hearts - the underwriters,
lawyers and accountants and the advertising firms has made any money out of
this YET but it certainly has changed our lives.

Anyone want to discuss the commercialization of software concepts - I am
more than willing to talk and find some mutual benefit!

Is there a PLUG grup meeting on tomorrow at UWA?  Hope the above is of some
assistance.  But beware the US markets are more than a little choppy at the
present time with interest rates on the move and most on the Street a bit
shell shocked by Greenspans inability to control them - he was billed as
god if you recall in all matters money and was supposed to have the power
to keep the speculative boom alive until ALL the players had made their
fortunes. - you know there is something Wrong when everyone is making money!

Regards
John Menzies