[plug] Re: Linux, SMP, etc ...

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Tue Aug 10 13:40:06 WST 1999

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Trevor Phillips wrote:

> Well, I've got my Beast at work up & running! ^_^

Awesome!

>   - What tool do you recommend for monitoring? I've thrown on xosview, but
> wouldn't mind SMP-aware TOP.

I use ProcMeter3 - there's a debian package for it, but it won't work for
SMP until you patch it with a patch you can find at
ftp://live.networx.net.au/pub/linux/SMP/procmeter-smpfix.patch
Just use "apt-get source procmeter3" then patch the stat-cpu.c in the
modules/ directory and run "./debian/rules binary"

I also compiled and installed the patched procps so I have an SMP aware
top, but all the patch adds is current CPU states for each CPU, which
ProcMeter tells me anyway, so I reckon it's not worth it.

>   - PSet: Is it worth it?

Definitely worth it for a desktop-type machine.  Especially if you like to
be in control of what your machine does.

> Is there a Debian version?

Not that I know of, but the utilities are small and compile out of the box
I modified one of the utilities to create a "cpustick" too, which allows
you to stick an already running process to a CPU (I use it to stick my X
server to one cpu)

> Does 2.2.10 need a patch for it
> (http://isunix.it.ilstu.edu/~thockin/pset/) has a 2.2.5 patch only

Yes it does
It patched cleanly into my 2.2.7 - haven't tried any later kernels yet.

>   - Where can I find info on monitoring system temperature, etc, for Linux?

You want the lm_sensors kernel module. http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78/

If you install the 2.x.x version you can use a module I helped write for
ProcMeter, so it reads the lm_sensors /proc output file's.
Should monitor Fan speeds too, but unfortunately the Celeron fans don't
come with speed sensors so I don't know if that works.

Anybody know where I can buy a Socket 370 fan with speed sensor?
I think Socket 7 fans will fit too, but I haven't seen any of those with
sensors either.

ftp://live.networx.net.au/pub/linux/SMP/ has:

sensors.c and sensors.so
Just stick sensors.so in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/ProcMeter3/modules/
and ProcMeter3 will find it on start-up.

Both the SMP fix and the sensors module will find their way into the next
release of ProcMeter.

 - Matt