[plug] Re: Linux, SMP, etc ...

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Tue Aug 10 15:42:49 WST 1999

Matt Kemner wrote:

> Just use "apt-get source procmeter3" then patch the stat-cpu.c in the
> modules/ directory and run "./debian/rules binary"

Does that create the .deb package ready for installing?? (That's what it looks
like). I've done that, installed it, got two CPU graphs up, and percent-wise
they both hover around 50%, but graph-wise 99% of the "traffic" is on one
graph. (This is running one SETI at Home; ie; saturating 1 processor).
The "xosview" shows graphs and percents averaging 50% (but with smaller sample
& no smoothing it's all spikes ^_^)

> > Does 2.2.10 need a patch for it
> > (http://isunix.it.ilstu.edu/~thockin/pset/) has a 2.2.5 patch only
>
> Yes it does
> It patched cleanly into my 2.2.7 - haven't tried any later kernels yet.

Just tried 2.2.11 and it didn't patch cleanly. *sigh*

> >   - Where can I find info on monitoring system temperature, etc, for Linux?
>
> You want the lm_sensors kernel module. http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78/
>
> If you install the 2.x.x version you can use a module I helped write for
> ProcMeter, so it reads the lm_sensors /proc output file's.

Had a bit of a look; got it compiling, but not working yet. Will look at it
more tomorrow.

Thanks for the help so far Matt. ^_^;

I have another query; In the upgrade I also got a new keyboard, one of these
"Funky" Honeywell Multimedia ones with the extra buttons for launching apps,
etc... Any quick pointers to resources on getting these extra buttons
happening under Linux?

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :