[plug] Re: Linux, SMP, etc ...

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Tue Aug 10 16:15:15 WST 1999

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Trevor Phillips wrote:

> Does that create the .deb package ready for installing?? (That's what it looks
> like). I've done that, installed it, got two CPU graphs up, and percent-wise
> they both hover around 50%, but graph-wise 99% of the "traffic" is on one
> graph. (This is running one SETI at Home; ie; saturating 1 processor).

You sure that one graph isn't the "overall" CPU graph? :)
Try running procmeter3 as:
"procmeter3 Stat-CPU.CPU Stat-CPU.CPU0 Stat-CPU.CPU1"

That should load 3 graphs with counters below them.
One overall graph and one graph for each CPU.

I also modified stat-cpu.c so that the first (overall) graph is out of
200% not 100% - just like the percentages in top.

Just modify lines 351->355 (replace 100 with 200)

> Just tried 2.2.11 and it didn't patch cleanly. *sigh*

I just had a go at patching it manually but it seems someone's totally
reorganised kernel/sched.c - D'oh

Might be worthwhile sending Tim Hockin an email to ask him if he can
forward-port the patch.

Personally I think I'll stick with 2.2.7 for the time being because I'm
not having any problems with it. :)

> etc... Any quick pointers to resources on getting these extra buttons
> happening under Linux?

That question's been asked a few times on the kernel list, and someone
suggested a few ways of doing it, but I haven't seen any code yet.
I'll let you know if I see any.

 - Matt