[plug] So what are the alternatives apart from Netscape.

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 12 10:22:58 WST 1999

blockley at environ.wa.gov.au wrote:

<snip>

> Just out of interest what other browsers do people use?

At home on Linux, I use Netscape Communicator 4.07 (I use Messenger for the
email); it is the only working browser that I have on Linux. It is the browser
that came with RH 5.2. I have downloaded the 128 bit encrypting Communicator
4.6, but have not got around to installing it.

I had previously used Star Office, which was better, until the browser stuffed
up, and put a colon at the end of every URL, regardless of the source of the
URL. Star Office had the same functionality feature as IE4; it retuned to the
same point in a web page.

At home on Windoze, I use IE4; it has the superior functionality, of returning
to the same point in a web page that Netscape (including later versions of
Netscape) does not have.

At Mudrock on Windoze MT, I use Netscape (it is the only configured browser). It
is great; when it crashes, it leaks memory all over MT, and crashes that, too.

IE4, while having functionality that Netscape does not have, can not flush
caches, as Netsape can (with <SHIFT> Reload).

So, each of the different browsers has their advantages and disadvantages (when
they are stable enough to work)

Bret Busby