[plug] Red Hat

John Menzies ccm01 at tpg.com.au
Sat Aug 14 09:44:08 WST 1999

This flame about Red Hat is pretty good stuff.  From an almost outsiders
perspective:

The success of the RH IPO clealry reflects a number of things including the
lust/greed for internet stocks in the US market right at this point in
time- this is not likely to continue - this is an almost unprecedented
stock market bubble - that the lads made a bucket load of money - ON PAPER
- is wonderful luck for the lads at RH.  Do Linux users as a group really
care - what you appear to want is a viable and far better alternative to
"Micro Blue Screen Inc"

There has to be a limit to where a product goes which is created as open
source for free in effect - this large amount of money is going to be spent
on developing a better product - it will probably accelerate the
development of Linux far faster than it would have otherwise - this is
probably a pretty "Bad brain week" for Mr Gates.  Linux now should pose a
real threat to Micro - thingey - and we all want that.  I for one am so
sick and tired of the complexity and legendary instability of Windows and
only extensive development of Linux - by people who actually get paid - can
kill that "shit called software company".

Linux will create significant opportunity for product development and you
guys are the ones who can benefit from this  - if you wish!

Regards
John Menzies