[plug] Red Hat becomes like M$

Peter Caffin pc at it.net.au
Fri Aug 13 19:49:43 WST 1999

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Oliver White wrote:
> Where did you get the idea that they're following M$' corporate
> philosophy? As far as I'm concerned, they can make as much money as they
> please. Yay capitalism. :-)

Considering that Redhat still has its distribution up for free download
and they don't prohibit others from making their own CDROMs, there's
little wrong with them on that score, as far as I'm concerned.

What they sell is on-paper documentation, some technical support, and a
cardboard box. They do this with a professional distribution method
through bookstores, etc. And good luck to them. It's obviously what a
large section of the Linux community wants (particularly the newbies).
They're doing what Linux companies need to do: make their money from the
value added service.

Personally, I run Debian (and have fond memories of the first distro I
used, Slackware) but I don't begrudge Redhat its financial success.

 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  _ |_|_o _  pc at it dot net dot a u |
/                 PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |