[plug] Red Hat becomes like M$

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Fri Aug 13 20:09:30 WST 1999

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Peter Caffin wrote:
> Personally, I run Debian (and have fond memories of the first distro I
> used, Slackware) but I don't begrudge Redhat its financial success.
Funny, that's you, me and Christian, all running Debian and sticking up
for Redhat. I would postulate perhaps that Debian users have less recently
fled the proprietary world (or never really been there) and as such do not
instinctively flinch from one company having a big share of a given
market.
As long as we keep the core pure, companies trying to push things down a
closed or proprietary route will find they are just pushing themselves
aside. Redhat's popularity is partly because they understand this
phenomenon - when freedom of choice exists, you get ahead of the
competition by doing the _right_ thing by your users - very different from
the anti-competitive world of proprietary software.

-Greg