[plug] Telstra CLI/CID Question

Kenworthy Family billk at opera.iinet.net.au
Sat Aug 14 18:53:33 WST 1999

Not such a lot of hot air - cabling has a lot of grey areas and anything to/with
telco wiring is austel territory - including, I believe what its connected to
i.e., austel approved equipment, and (fixed wiring) is only approved if austel
installed.  Temporary wiring (cables bought at tricky dickies for instance)
should already carry an austel approval number if it is allowed to be used for
communication via a telco's stuff.

and I guess you are all aware that strictly speaking you require an electrical
licence to work on the interior of most PC's.  Yep, even with the self contained
power supply's cuz they are fitted to a switch on the case by bayonet plugs -
that someone may possibly, remotely, very unlikely to, might come into contact
with.  At a fed government institution I worked at we all had to get plug & cord
licences to get inside the case.  They consulted the state authority and were
told that the outer case of any equipment that has 240vac going into it (in fact
anything over 50vac or dc!)  is to be treated as the boundary for unlicensed
personnel, unless directly supervised by someone with a licence - and I am (was)
an electronic tech with nearly 18 years experience!  Still had to sit a prac test
and supply documentation going back to my trade training to avoid some months at
TAFE doing safety and tech courses.  Oh, and isolation is a grey area, I think
from my readings of some older Austel licensing documentation, running unapproved
cables within the isolation distance of an austel installation may make you
liable.  So when you put a network card in a customers pc and someone gets zapped
(for ANY reason), or interferes with another austel licensed installation - guess
who's going to be the bunny with no legal protection!!!!  - and exposed to some
very very very hefty fines!!!!

and at the time of the above, I think an A grade electrician was automatically
(or its a simple process) to be austel licensed.

As to carrying it a step further - I have been there and seen it done.

Regulation gone mad - and waiting to surface and bite a lot of people - I think
so.

BillK