[plug] Telstra CLI/CID Question

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Sun Aug 15 08:30:14 WST 1999

> Not such a lot of hot air - cabling has a lot of grey areas and anything to/w
> ith
> telco wiring is austel territory - including, I believe what its connected to
> i.e., austel approved equipment, and (fixed wiring) is only approved if auste
> installed.  Temporary wiring (cables bought at tricky dickies for instance)
> should already carry an austel approval number if it is allowed to be used fo
> communication via a telco's stuff.

But not for one to fiddle around on the computer's side of the modem.
Shall we stick with external modems? Internals seem likely to muddy the
waters a little

> and I guess you are all aware that strictly speaking you require an electrica
> licence to work on the interior of most PC's.  Yep, even with the self contai
> ned

I was. However, the point's irrelevant as the reasoning there's to protect
equipment and users from the power, whereas in the telco's case it's to
protect the network from users and their equipment.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield