[plug] PORNO and our internet

John Menzies ccm01 at tpg.com.au
Mon Aug 16 06:31:10 WST 1999

At 11:09 PM 14/08/1999 , you wrote:
>On Sun, Aug 15, 1999 at 02:23:04PM -0700, John Menzies wrote:
> > I HAD NOT FINISHED - WAY TOO FAST WITH THE MOUSE CLICK
>
><HUMOUR>
>seen a doctor about that problem?
></HUMOUR>
>

> > I oppose porno from a philosophical perspective as it sees the person and
> > their unique gifts as no more than a commodity to buy and exploit - I feel
> > that it does not enhance the life of the viewer of give him a better
> > understanding of the world in which we live.  Simple - ask yourself about
> > how this stuff really makes you feel!
>
>No idea, I don't look at it, however I have no right to tell someone what
>to do, unless what they are doing directly affects me or my family.

I have a somewhat bigger view of ones role in society - fmaily is a pretty
narrow view - their and your very existence depends on the society as a
whole and its health and vitality - a sick society produces a sick family -
that sounds good.

> > That it is almost impossible to regulate this stuff over the medium is
> > another question - in  the fullness of time - technology will allow for
> the
> > censure of this material if that what society wishes.
>
>Will it? Ever noticed the 'blackmarket' and the underground are always
>2 steps ahead of authorities. Thats why it always has existed and always
>will exist.

Absolutely - not to say that a behaviour which is opposed by the majority
of society should be allowed because it will always be there however.  I do
find it interesting that we as a society value the rights of the individual
above al else - but there are other civilizatiosn which have a different
view but still offer enormous potential to thier peoples - take China for
example - the Confician way of thought would place the rights of the
individal right down the list.  We can make all sorts to statements about
human rights etc etc but it is worth reflecting that the Chinese soecity
has been around for a lot longer in more or less an unchanged form for a
lot an order of magnitude longer than democracy.  There are other views of
life and our role within it which just because they are diffeetn are not
necessarily wrong.  I believe that the rights of the individal are
important - however that person lives withjin a society and although those
individual rights should not be trmapled or at leat those rights to live in
peace and at ease - the overall rights of society as deemed by the majority
IMHO do have precedent.

Good on you Peter -= the commentary is exciting!  Anyone for coffee?