[plug] [OT] Re: Internet Oppression (again)

John Menzies ccm01 at tpg.com.au
Mon Aug 16 06:41:03 WST 1999

At 11:14 PM 14/08/1999 , you wrote:
>As has been brought up before, the issue isn't porn. The issue is that
>the laws simply won't work, and will cause much collateral damage. A
>much better option would be to subsidise packages like 'Net Nanny', and
>educate the populace as to its existence. The problem with the law is
>that it takes a centralised approach to a problem of decentralisation -
>the government simply does not 'get' the net. Also in the legislation is
>the allowance that no ISP will be liable for being over zellous. This
>encourages the use of broad based filters which will block all sorts of
>innoculous and perhaps important web sites.

Like the XXXX (beer) site which I have heard was "banned" by one of the
engines!  I am not sure that AOL does not use these already - or maybe that
is there wonderful propreitary software.

>IIRC, software suggested by
>Sen. Alston was responsible for blocking Tim Fisher's favorite web site
>- one devoted to whips. Also, the use of such software will slow an
>ISP's communications ability by a large factor. The porn is irrelevant.

The move by the governemnt to demand that ISPs filter content is clelary
absurd and reflects a real lack of understangin if nothing else of the
state of technology in this area - right now to filter content accurately
is not possible.  Even the conventional search engines a way behind - so
there will always be holes.  Can not be denied.

I do agree that the issue here is not censorship etc but whether in fact it
can be applied as our pollies believe it can - there is some education to
do here and it has zip to do with content.

Does not mean we can not have an interesting discussion about censorship
however - was this a Linux discussion group?  I think we have a gone a
little off subject .

PS where was that whip site!

Maybe the solution to this dilema is to employ about 100,000 public
servants and we could submit our request for a page first to them - they
would view it and then forward it on to us.  That should slow the techno
revolution by a sufficient degree such that no-one would feel that life was
going too fast! even our pollies.