[plug] [OT] Re: Internet Oppression (again)

Oliver White ojw at iinet.net.au
Sun Aug 15 14:14:21 WST 1999

As has been brought up before, the issue isn't porn. The issue is that
the laws simply won't work, and will cause much collateral damage. A
much better option would be to subsidise packages like 'Net Nanny', and
educate the populace as to its existence. The problem with the law is
that it takes a centralised approach to a problem of decentralisation -
the government simply does not 'get' the net. Also in the legislation is
the allowance that no ISP will be liable for being over zellous. This
encourages the use of broad based filters which will block all sorts of
innoculous and perhaps important web sites. IIRC, software suggested by
Sen. Alston was responsible for blocking Tim Fisher's favorite web site
- one devoted to whips. Also, the use of such software will slow an
ISP's communications ability by a large factor. The porn is irrelevant.