[plug] Internet Oppression (again)

John Menzies ccm01 at tpg.com.au
Mon Aug 16 06:53:36 WST 1999

At 11:28 PM 14/08/1999 , you wrote:
>I think it's fair to say most of us are against porn being easily
>available, whatever the circumstances of its creation, to kids.
>
>The point is, the measures taken by the government simply won't be a sharp
>knife.
>
>Some of my uni notes (computer science) involving Linux admin or Unix
>programming may become "bad" because it mentions ROOT.

Please send these over in a brown envellope.

>That's a simple example. Deliberately.
>
>As passionate as you are on religeous grounds, don't you think those who
>wish to
>use the sex industry should be accepted equally? Didn't Jesus accept the
>prostitutes?

In the coming 20 years the interent will totally change retail environment
- the majority of sales will be done over the internet -= it will become a
totally seamless part of our lives.  Many retail businesses will dissapear
to be repalced by ? coffee shops.   The porno sites have no corner store
presence and as a consequnce they are "unseen" .  I wonder if you would
have  a different view if    they did have a physical presence.  The area
around time square in NYC is a good example.  Wonderful place to wander
around - but there are sex stores and the like on every corner - the mayor
threw them out of the city centre and although there was some complaint -
mainly from the owners - the general public seems to fully support the hard
line he has taken and I have heard nothing but good comment from people who
have recently visited NYC.

I would contend that most sex workers would probably prefer to be doing
some thing else!  To justify the foregoing statement could take a lot of
research and right at this point in time I am way too busy!

Interesting thought - would the new federal government proposal result in
the banning of this site as a consequence of this discussion.

Thanks for making my Sunday far more interesting.

Regards
John