[plug] Samba

Leon Brooks leonb at bounce.networx.net.au
Mon Aug 16 17:19:47 WST 1999

Michael Hunt wrote:
> I am using a Linux server as a file server (Samba) for an accounting
> database application.

> Samba works fine with low traffic stuff but when I re-index the database
> which involves high disk i/o, the procedure takes a lot longer on the Linux
> server as against a Win95/98 Server. For example: the Windows Server takes 5
> mins against the Linux Samba Server's 40 minutes using PC's of the same
> power through a 10Base network.

>> For info on tuning Linux boxes visit http://www.tunelinux.com/. Quite a bit
>> of info on speeding up samba, networking and info on hdparm etc. Also the
>> http://www.samba.org/ web pages are a good place to look. Check out the
>> documentation that came with samba as their are quite a few good text files
>> there also.

For curiosity's sake: Windows NT or 9x server?

What kind of database? If it's SQL based, you may be much better off
running something like MySQL or PostGreSQL directly on the Linux box
than running a "remote" Windows based SQL database on a network
filesystem.

Also, if the application is internet-exposed at all, firewall off both
tcp and udp on ports 137-139 so that only local (intranet) users can
access them on the Linux box.

--
If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains
unprovable