[plug] Censorship and linux

Leon Brooks leonb at bounce.networx.net.au
Mon Aug 16 17:25:40 WST 1999

Oliver White wrote:
> Matt Kemner wrote:
>> Meanwhile I'm wondering when the cops are going to walk into a random ISP
>> and walk off with their news server and/or proxy server and charge the
>> owners for possession of child porn images, which I'm certain there are
>> several of on all news & proxy servers.

> Ok, interesting point here... Don't blame the messenger!! One solution
> to the problem is to invest in the development of Free (speach not
> beer... oh the irony ;-) end-user filters.

Not. (1) how do you filter image content? (1a) without filtering out
Queensland's favourite beer? (2) the image still hits the ISP proxy
before the user's filter even gets to see it.

> Back to topic... Linux, and unix in general, has an excellent structure
> for managing users that arn't to be given full system privilages,
> children for instance. One of the main problems with software like 'Net
> Nanny' is that, running on Windows, it's a simple matter (the three
> fingered salute) to kill an unwanted process.

Or just leave it for long enough. (-:

> Many of the people I talk to on this issue, whom support the censorship
> bill, are the technically ignorant, who arn't willing to teach
> themselves a little technology for the sake of their children.

Actually, can't be bothered either finding out about or dealing with an
enormous number of issues to do with their children. "Give me
convenience or give me death. I don't want to know."

--
PURPOSE OF YOUR CAREER
Astronaut:  Advancing scientific knowledge for the good of humanity.