[plug] Censorship and linux

Oliver White ojw at iinet.net.au
Tue Aug 17 13:03:03 WST 1999

Leon Brooks wrote:

> Oliver White wrote:
> > Matt Kemner wrote:
> >> Meanwhile I'm wondering when the cops are going to walk into a random ISP
> >> and walk off with their news server and/or proxy server and charge the
> >> owners for possession of child porn images, which I'm certain there are
> >> several of on all news & proxy servers.
>
> > Ok, interesting point here... Don't blame the messenger!! One solution
> > to the problem is to invest in the development of Free (speach not
> > beer... oh the irony ;-) end-user filters.
>
> Not. (1) how do you filter image content? (1a) without filtering out
> Queensland's favourite beer? (2) the image still hits the ISP proxy
> before the user's filter even gets to see it.

All I'm saying is that a Free filter system would be better than the
propriatary systems like Net Nanny. At the least, without commercial
motivations, you would be unlikely to see site censorship based simply
on comments about the product itself.

A free system would also be more configurable, allowing more specific
targeting of subjects.