[plug] (off-topic) Law regarding hacking

Matt Bruce Matt.Bruce at alphawest.com.au
Tue Aug 17 16:40:49 WST 1999

Paul,

The example you've given appears to be based on the AusCERT Advisory
AA-93.03, developed by the Commonwealth DPP, in conjunction with the
Australian Federal Police and AusCERT. Its reason for development is covered
in the following URL.

"AusCERT Advisory AA-93.03 Suggested Login Banner" under:
  http://www.auscert.org.au/Information/Advisories/aus_1993.html

I use this text as the pre-login banner (usually /etc/issue and
/etc/issue.net in Linux variants) for all the servers, firewalls and relays
that I install. I believe you can easily hack NT's login to provide you with
a pre-login banner, in which you could include this information. The same is
probably true of most multi-user and -login operating systems.

You'll most likely find, as is the case with the majority of technological
crimes here in the wild West, that its effectiveness has yet to be tried in
a WA court.

However, I hear the WA Police and AFP Computer Crime Units have been
recently trained in what hacking is, so we may hear of more local cases as
the script kiddies and 31337 hax0rz get taken down. ;) You may want to
contact either one of these crime units for information.

HTH,

--
Matt Bruce   <matt.bruce at alphawest.com.au>
Security & Internet Engineer