[plug] ComputerBank meeting Tues 24th 7:45pm

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Thu Aug 19 08:56:18 WST 1999

Hi guys & gals
David asked me to forward this on to you - his mailserver is playing silly
buggers with his From: address at the moment.

 - Matt

From: "Buddrige, David" <dbuddrige at mitswa.com.au>
To: "'plug at linux.org.au'" <plug at linux.org.au>
Subject: RE: [plug] ComputerBank meeting Tues 24th 7:45pm
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 17:36:29 +0800

Hi all,

As Bob has mentioned, Computerbank is now ready to get started...

We have already been donated a bunch of machines (mainly 386 and 486's) that
we intend to build with Linux and subsequently distribute to persons not
otherwise able to afford a computer.

What we're short on, is people with sufficient technical expertise to be
able to build the machines - we intend setting up one or two slightly hacked
distro's (probably slackware for the really old equipment, and redhat for
those machines able to handle it) but before we can do this, we need people
with Linux knowledge who'd be willing to donate their time.

The intent is to meet regularly (probably fortnightly) for about 2 or three
hours, where we'd build a bunch of machines.  Once properly configured,
these machines would then be handed over to various other organisations for
distribution - ie, we build them, and then arrange for other charities to
distribute them to persons who they know to be unable to afford a computer -
especially unemployed persons and families unable to afford the machines...

Is anyone interested in being involved in this?  Basically, we're looking
for technically skilled volunteers at this point - basically anyone able to
build a linux box from scratch (ie a pile of components, and a linux cd (or
network card with a linux box mounted via nfs on a server).

cheers

David Buddrige