[plug] Sound on Linux

Kenworthy Family billk at opera.iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 19 11:32:17 WST 1999

Try the ALSA drivers (search freshmeat).  I have just installed them and while I cannot get kernald to
install them at bootup, modprobe on the login script works.  A bit primative compared to some OSS stuff
but gpl licence I think.  OSS support is a bit spotty (many programs dont work as it is done via
emulation) but to play wav's/mp3 is fine.  I also want record but have not had any success so far (also
OSS was tempermental)  My sound is an onboard (Note to myself - in future avoid onboard sound/video chips
- big time compatibility problems!) ESS SOLO1 (1938) chipset.

BillK