[plug] ComputerBank meeting Tues 24th 7:45pm

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Thu Aug 19 09:30:27 WST 1999

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Gary Allpike wrote:

> I believe it would be far easier to install debian on the systems.  The
> biggest complaint aboiut debian is that it is hard to INSTALL - if I'm
> going to do the installation then theres nothing hard left!!

Agreed, and if you're setting up multiple debian machines with the same
configuration, it's not so difficult - install one system, then run

"dpkg --get-selections > package.list"

then copy the package.list to a floppy or the nfs server you're installing
from, and for all the other machines install only the base system, then
quit out of dselect when it is first run by the install script, and run

"dpkg --set-selections < package.list"

Then go back into dselect and choose "install"

The system will be set up identical to the first one, saving you from
choosing all the right packages again.

 - Matt