[plug] Samba printing problems

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Thu Aug 19 23:06:17 WST 1999

As a change from the distro wars, a little tech problem:

Samba is working fine as a file server, but the print jobs are silently
disappearing. I'm using samba-2.0.3 on RH6, with NT4 and win95 clients.
  Is there any way to increase the amount of logging to figure whats going
wrong?

 The /var/log/samba/log.<host> shows a connection and
/var/spool/samba is touched, suggesting a file has been created and
deleted. But 'lpr' is not touched (ls -lut). Theres no difference if lpd
isnt running. Any suggestions before I get the source and compile for
debug?
  My smb.conf [printers] section is unaltered by me, and a correct list of
printcap entries show onm the SMB clients.
I tried "debug level = 3" but dont see anything useful. Setting
an explicit "print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -P%p %s" doesnt help either.

  But after restarting samba, the NT client refuses to see the server SMB
shares or printers, with a typically helpful "Unexpected network error".
Sometimes I'd like to strangle the programmers who write error messages
like that.

(2) All the dates on 'smbmount'ed files (NT->Linux) are off by one hour.
Going the other way using Samba, all is well. Bug in smbfs? 2.2.5 kernel.
I recompiled the smbfs.o module without the "win 95 fix" to avoid the
random-looling dates i was getting before.

(3) My printer has only a 300 dpi driver for NT, but 600dpi for
ghostscript, so I'd like to tell NT to use postscript. There is no
"generic postscript" option, so which printer is a good choice?

If you have read this far, thanks!

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
	I had no shoes and I pitied myself.  Then I met a man who had no
	feet, so I took his shoes.
	                -- Dave Barry