[plug] Multiple possible PPP dialups and DNS

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Fri Aug 20 11:16:38 WST 1999

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999 cthart at gbs.com.au wrote:

> How do I set bind up so that it can query the
> DNS server of the currently connected PPP
> connection?

edit your /etc/ppp/ip-up and -down scripts to automatically change the
bind configuration when you log in and out, based on the remote IP address
:)

> How would it work if I didn't have a caching
> (forward-only) DNS?

You would use those scripts to edit /etc/resolv.conf instead :)

Better yet, set up a caching DNS server that doesn't forward all of it's
queries to your ISP's DNS, but rather talks to the root servers etc itself
- that way it will just use whatever default route is active to find
answers to it's queries.

 - Matt