[plug] MP3 tagging and CDDB ...

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Fri Aug 20 11:19:16 WST 1999

"Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima" wrote:

> Insert CD into drive
> cda -dev /dev/cdrom on
> cda -dev /dev/cdrom toc > ~/tmp/tocfile
> cda -dev /dev/cdrom off
>
> The you a nice file that contains the name/artist/tracks for the cd in the
> drive.   If it is unsure about the CD it will ask :)

This still requires the original CD, though. I'm sure I've seen one that did
not require the original CD...

> > Hmmm. Or I could write a smart Perl Script to just connect to the cddb website
> > and pretend to be a client, parsing the results...
>
> Yeah BUT then you need to understand the CDDB format/protocol etc etc ... cda
> does all of theat for you.

No. The CDDB website. ie; http://www.cddb.com/
Script would browse around the site, search for the right CD, and derive the
track info from search results...

Knowing the CDDB protocol still requires the original CD (I've looked into
what is required). Doing a Websearch just requires HTML parsing and some
smarts.

Altho another solution would be to download the entire CD database and do
local interpretations of the info... Data would not be updated tho...

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :