[plug] MP3 tagging and CDDB ...

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Fri Aug 20 10:23:52 WST 1999

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Trevor Phillips wrote:

> Ummm. How does cda get the data? It looked like a console CD player to me, not
> a CDDB search utility. Or is there another CDA util?

Insert CD into drive
cda -dev /dev/cdrom on
cda -dev /dev/cdrom toc > ~/tmp/tocfile
cda -dev /dev/cdrom off

The you a nice file that contains the name/artist/tracks for the cd in the
drive.   If it is unsure about the CD it will ask :)

> Hmmm. Or I could write a smart Perl Script to just connect to the cddb website
> and pretend to be a client, parsing the results...

Yeah BUT then you need to understand the CDDB format/protocol etc etc ... cda
does all of theat for you.

Yours Tony.