[plug] Costs hosting a Box at an ISP...

Paul Wilson hooker at opera.iinet.net.au
Fri Aug 20 15:37:11 WST 1999

From: Trevor Phillips <phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au>
> I thought I'd send this to this list, seeing there are people here with
ISP
> connections.
>
> I would like to have my own machine, permanently online, as a webserver.
What
> costs and other considerations are there in setting something like this
up?

> What I have in mind is myself supplying the machine itself, and doing all
> Admin on it, and having it sit onsite at an ISP, such that it has a good
Net
> Location.
>
> Is this sort of setup possible?

According to the phoning round that I did recently (a month or so ago),
iinet charge $500 to set up a machine in their server room, $250 a month to
host it and $250 a month for 1.5 Gb of traffic ($400 per month for 3 Gb of
traffic).  You're *expected* to admin ti yourself, although they'll do it
for you (but you probably wouldn't like the cost).

Wantree don't want to offer the service at all - their prices were 50% above
iinet's.

Paul