[plug] ComputerBank meeting Tues 24th 7:45pm

Christian christian at global.net.au
Fri Aug 20 17:09:07 WST 1999

bob at contact.omen.com.au wrote:
> Shall I tell you the tail about teaching someone to fish and them not
> being hungry ever again? I think there's a need to have the option to go
> that far in teaching, not everyone may want, need or be able to reach that
> high but CB _has_ to encourage otherwise what use has it been.

I've heard that _tale_ and I mostly agree with it.  However, if you
hadn't noticed, nowadays most people don't do much fishing in order to
survive.  Rather, they go and ask someone who is a professional
fisherman to provide their fish for them. I think you might find a
starving man rather uninterested in being handed a fishing rod and then
being lectured on the sublties of casting, baits, hooks and lures.

To ditch the metaphor, I think the last thing most people who can't
really afford a new computer and who have little or no experience with
computers will be interested in will be what you're proposing to teach
them.  They just want to get the thing up and running, do their everyday
tasks and *maybe* install some new software if/when it comes along.
Those who want to learn more can get involved in the user group and take
advantage of the existing support and education infrastructure - after
all, that is what it's there for and it seems silly to me for CB to try
and duplicate it.

> So will we expect to see you there on Tuesday evening ? Anyone else?

Depending on other commitments, it's possible that I could help out with
installing and setting up the machines (ie, I'm interested in doing so)
but I certainly can't be there *this* Tuesday - assuming that's what the
Tuesday meeting is about...

Regards,

Christian.

--