[plug] ComputerBank meeting Tues 24th 7:45pm

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Fri Aug 20 06:37:10 WST 1999

> bob at contact.omen.com.au wrote:
> > Ok, please keep in mind that the whole point of the exercise is to give
> > people who may not have _any_ skills with computers a way in. To that end
> > KISS is needed sometimes otherwise you'll just scare people away and
>

> Gary's point was that Debian *may* have a hard install but since the
> install is going to be done _for_ the end-user, this hardly matters.
> Once the machine is setup and configured, the majority of the work being
> done by the user will be installation of new software - which Debian's
> APT makes about as easy as it ever could be - easier than the other
> distributions I believe.

I think it highly unlikely most of the target users will care about
upgrading; I exect my daughter's more typical than subscribers to this
list.

I installed RHL 5.1 on her box, and it stayed as installed until the HDD
started playing up I then got at it to put RHL 6.0 on it, and unless she
wants some NEW software, it will probably be running RHL 6.0 on it when
the rest of the world's running RHL 8.0.

She's as likely to upgrade her Linux as he sister is to upgrade he Win95.
Not at all.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield