[plug] Problem with apt

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Mon Aug 23 10:46:47 WST 1999

Brad Campbell wrote:

> apt-get has stopped working..
> I just get a 403 Forbidden - by rule
> Error on every file it tries to download when I do an update..

This is a HTTP error message, so it sounds like your sources are giving
forbidden for one reason or another... Does FTP method give the same error??

> I know my sources.list file is ok, coz I coppied it to another machine
> and it worked ok..

Do either machine go through a proxy? If so, maybe it's a proxy that is
forbidding access to a resource. Have you tried manually going to the
resource?

> If I put a couple of local links in, to my local debian slink images
> mounted over a loopback.. it works fine..
> I just cant do an update over ftp or http..

Have you tried some Perth mirrors? I use:
deb ftp://ftp.uwa.edu.au/mirrors/linux/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.uwa.edu.au/mirrors/linux/debian unstable main contrib non-free

(Plus a few others...)

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :