[plug] upgrades

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Mon Aug 23 13:29:07 WST 1999

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Kenworthy Family wrote:

> Hi all,
>     is it possible to upgrade a RH5.2 system to latest kernel & I guess
> glibc2.1 without too much difficulty - are there any other needed

Easiest way is probably to do an "upgrade install" of RH6.

> not to do a full install due the amount of software I would have to
> reinstall/reconfigure even if I copy /usr across - much is compiled from
> source against glibc2.0.

An "upgrade install" will keep all that. But you should install all those
things in /usr/local, preferably on a different partition. Then it is easy
to keep if you do a full re-install. (e.g. of Debian :)

>     Is it possible to install glibc 2.1 alongside 2.0, are they
> backwards compatible?

Possible, but not neccessary. They are, in theory.
Note that RH6 includes compatibility libraries for older libc5 binaries
in /usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib.

regards,

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
	I had no shoes and I pitied myself.  Then I met a man who had no
	feet, so I took his shoes.
	                -- Dave Barry